Becoming the Art of Words
Celebrate the power of words with us! Join our special event to witness a showcase of extraordinary talent from across the city. Meet local groups dedicated to elevating spoken and written artistry in our community. Drop by between 11 am and 1 pm to be enthralled by the incredible local talent.
After this vibrant start, immerse yourself in the world of Ekphrastic Poetry. Listen to the voices of local artists and poets who have collaborated to craft this exceptional experience. These performances and workshops are an extension of a 6-week exhibition that unfolded at The Crossing at St Paul`s in Walsall and then extended for 3 months at the New Art Gallery Walsall. The poetry you will hear has been artfully inspired by the captivating artwork displayed throughout the event.
Don't miss the exciting performances by Ian Henery, Brendan Hawthorne and Steven C Davis with Poetic Malevolence. If you are feeling inspired, join our Ekphrastic poetry workshop to try your hand at this unique form of creative expression. It is a celebration of words, art, and the magic that happens when they come together.
11:00 am -3:00 pm Exhibitors:
- Communities Against Racism Enterprise - Wolverhampton based education and creative charity dedicated to promoting diversity & inclusivity
- Black Country Connection - local magazine which connects businesses, people, and communities across the region
- Saturday Books - community organisation which promotes spoken word opportunities for local writers and promotes local publishers
- Wolverhampton SUIT (Service User Involvement Team) - Service User Involvement Team. Award-winning Wolverhampton charity working closely with Recovery Near You, supporting vulnerable adults
- Raising Steam - networking and performance opportunities for publishers, authors and poets at annual local steampunk festival which raises money for charity.
- Ere We Bin/Belmont Rep - spoken word network featuring poets, storytellers, publishers, and musicians from across the Black Country. The Belmont Rep is a Black Country based theatre company.
11:00 am - 1:00 pm Open Mic Performers
- Apples & Venus Soundscapes - Mark Ingram & Russell Smith. Local poets who perform widely. Mark launches his latest poetry collection on National Poetry Day 2023.
- Poetic Malevolence (Steven C Davis & Laura Jane Round) - local poets who performed at countless spoken word events in 2023 including 4 festivals.
- Communities Against Racism Enterprise poets - Maurice Malcolm, Ruth South & Alphina Ndvolu. Local poets who have campaigned for hope, remembrance, and healing from the traumas of racism.
- Bones - well-known local poet who performed with the ekphrastic poetry event at The Crossing for National Poetry Day and Get A Word In Edgeways Festival at the Newhampton Arts Centre.
- Ajay Pall - local poet who performed at the ekphrastic poetry event for National Poetry Day and Get A Word In Edgeways at the Newhampton Arts Centre.
- Kate Gilbert - local poet who performed at the ekphrastic poetry event for National Poetry Day and Get A Word In Edgeways at the Newhampton Arts Centre
- Raising Steam Poets - the very best of local steampunk poets previewed before their performance at the Raising Steam Festival later in the year.
- Ere We Bin/Belmont Rep - local poets Keith Gwilliams and Lynn Hawthorne with poems inspired by life, love and Wolverhampton.
- Dr Paul McDonald - former Head of Creative Writing at the University of Wolverhampton, author and published poet presenting his ekphrastic poetry.
- Lisa Johnston - well-known local artist and poet who performed and exhibited at the ekphrastic poetry exhibition in Walsall.
1:00 pm Ekphrastic Performances
- Ian Henery - presenter at Black Country Radio and Black Country Xtra which broadcasts on 102.5 FM, online and DAB Radio - the sound of the Black Country. Resident poet at Black County Connection magazine.
- Brendan Hawthorne - playwright, poet, and musician. His latest collection of poetry is "Seventies Child & Other Fashion Trends" by Dream Well Writing Ltd.
14:00 Ekphrastic Poetry Workshops
- Kate Gilbert, Bones, Ajay Pall & Lisa Johnston.
Artist on display
- Rowan Siddons
- Al Monde
- Jason Fullwood
- Steven C Davies
Date: Saturday 3rd February
Venue: Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Price: Free - Drop In